In the Spotlight
Greater Albany Public Schools Mentoring Program
GAPS currently has two full time mentors working with teachers in the first and second year of their teaching profession. Becky Koontz has been mentoring at the elementary level for 10 years. Sylvia Sorenson is in her first year as a secondary level mentor. Currently, all new teachers are offered the following supports:
- A full week of paid training prior to the start of the school year which includes an HR orientation, CHAMPS training, curriculum orientation, and time to work in their classroom.
- Ongoing Behavior Management Learning Opportunities.
- Bi-weekly Newsletters that include reminders about important information such as leave and impending deadlines, strategies for improving classroom management, communicating with parents, report cards, grading, and group work. District resources are shared in a timely way to reduce overwhelm and to target those resources most useful to new teachers.
- One on One meetings and classroom visits
- Mentoring is tailored to fit each individuals needs, goals, current skill level, and emotional capacity
- Veteran Classroom Visits WITH Mentor
We would love to collaborate with other mentors and answer any questions about our program!